19 February 2008

Febuary's Class Projects

I forgot to post the second project for January's class, and since I got sick and had to cancel class I guess I never gave it another thought. Well, now I am recycling the original card. I used crayon resist technique for the main layer. This stamp set is the Priceless that was so popular when the last catalog came out. I bought it but haven't used it much. It is such a pretty set that I thought I'd pull it out to use it. I thought this technique would work so well with this set, and yes, I believe that it does.


Since I had to cancel last month's class none of my customers got to see or do these cards. So why waste perfectly good cards?? I wanted to showcase one of the Sale-A-Bration (SAB) stamp sets, Merci, so I revamped my Priceless card and came up with this version.


The tricky part of using the crayon resist is that if you miss a spot you generally can't tell until it is too late. In looking at this card I can see that I should have added some crayon to the center flower. Now when you see the card IRL it isn't as obvious as the scanner shows so I didn't feel the need to redo that layer. Also, I like to leave little things like this to show my class because I think that a) it shows that I'm not perfect and b) that cards don't have to be perfect in order to be used. It is the handmade that makes these cards so much more special than any Hallmark card!

By using this card I also get to show an alternative way of using the scallop punch! I saw somewhere (either on a blog or on SCS) that if you punch your scallop then repunch it so that the punch notches are on the scallop edges you get this cool looking medallion. I found that it is easier to adjust the scallop if you mount it on wax paper and since you are using wax paper it removes sooo easily! Here is a close up of the medallion so you can see more detail.


Stamps: 1st card uses Priceless; 2nd card uses Merci; Ink: Rose Red, Regal Rose; Paper: Glossy, Rose Red, Accessories: clear crayon (the kind you use to write on Easter eggs before you dye them,) white taffeta ribbon, scallop punch, brayer w/foam attachment.