02 April 2007

Alcohol Polished Stone

We had a friend of ours get promoted today so I needed a card. This friend is male, sooooo. . . . . yes, I had to do a masculine card. I really enjoyed doing the Polished Rainbow from the current Technique Junkies newsletter, but I wanted something more masculine than any of my current Spectrum pads. Sooooo . . . . . *Pat would be SO proud of me!* I improvised! I used my alcohol inks and my Distress pads to make a card for Todd. I started with glossy white c/s and took a cotton ball and put some Blending Solution on first then one color of alcohol reinker. I wanted the card to have an aged feel so I used Butterscotch, Caramel, Giner and Espresso refills.

The above picture is the glossy c/s after I finished applying the alcohol inks with plenty of Blending Solution.


After I finished the alcohol inks I added silver mixative. It is really difficult to show the silver, but those grayish patches are actually silver.


After I let it dry I stamped it using StazOn ink and Stampin' Up!'s It's About Time stamp set. As in it's about time you got promoted! LOL! (In the Army, an anual list comes out in the fall and you wait until your number is up and get promoted on the first day of that month. So we have known since early October that Todd was "promotable" he just had to wait for April to roll around.) ;)

After I stamped the c/s I used the Distress Inks to edge around it. I was trying to get an aged feel. The Distress Ink did not want to dry so I let it sit overnight, rather than use my heat gun and risk waking up Troy. *anticipates finished craft room* In the morning it STILL was not dry so I used the heat gun to help set the ink. I then finished the card and ended up with this:

I layered the glossy onto Really Rust, then onto Basic Black as the main card. I used Vintage brads in the corners.

I don't know if he'll notice, but I set the hands to April 1st, his official promotion date, even though he pinned on in a ceremony this morning. Congrats Todd!